A  BRIEF HISTORY OF MARSKE C.C.


If we only accept documentary evidence for the beginning of Marske C.C. the first we find is not of a cricket match, but the Village Institute being booked in 1869 for the Annual Dinner.


Exactly where cricket was played in the early days is hard to determine but it is sure to be now under a vast housing estate.  It is certain that our present ground was first used in 1887 and the Club had 23 members paying a subscription of three shillings a year. 


In 1985 Marske C.C. was a founder member of The East Cleveland Cricket association and from 1908 took part In the Cleveland Challenge cup run by the Association.  In 1910 Marske was one of six teams invited to make up a new ‘B’ division of the Cleveland League, then in 1911 the League was re-organised into two divisions, East and West Cleveland. 1913 saw the two divisions become separate Leagues with Marske in the East Cleveland League. This period was rapidly drawing to its close with the shadows of war lengthening. 


No notable cricket honours were gained by the Club in this early period but it is certain that Marske C.C. was well and truly established. League and cup cricket was resumed in 1920 with 57 members paying five shillings subscriptions and playing in the East Cleveland League.


The 1925 season was noteworthy for the erection of a new cricket pavilion. This pavilion was moved in 1959 to make way for our first Clubhouse and was still doing a first class job as the groundsman’s hut and equipment store until 1986 when it was replaced by a new building.


1937 was the most successful season ever experienced by the Club up to that time, the Championship of The East Cleveland League was won, the League KO Cup and the Zetland Cup (a competition run by Saltburn C.C.) which we had previously won in 1932.  The only trophy not won was the Cleveland Challenge Cup, the oldest in the area and greatly prized. In 1938 the League KO cup was won again and all seemed set for further honours in cricket at Marske, but once again war was to intervene.  Cricket though was played through the war years with a depleted side and the Club was able to survive, thanks to a small band of players, officials and Ladies who rallied round to give willingly of their time.


After the war the cricket field, instead of a meadow surrounded by pastures and standing in splendid isolation, is now a fine ground surrounded by houses, no longer in a small village but part of a thriving new community.


Our first post-war success was the winning of the K.O. cup in 1948 and we had to wait until 1951 to become Champions of the Cleveland and Teesside League.  Before the start of the 1952 season, great efforts were made to improve our playing area and Saltburn’s groundsman was called into help.  The Club was becoming very conscious of the state of the ground.


Coronation year saw us again as Cleveland and Teesside League champions and the start of many successes in our association with the Cleveland and Teesside League.1954 Champions of the Cleveland section of the C&T League and Zetland cup winners.


Immediately at the end if the 1956 season, great efforts were again made to improve the ground, several loads of soil were tipped into the outfield and levelled off to fill in some of the more serious rig and furrow.


1957 we were joint champions of the C&T League and Zetland cup winners. 


At the start of 1958 we bought an old Army hut from Marske camp which was destined to become our first Clubhouse.  En Tout Cas were engaged to plough, cut and re-seed the whole outfield and a fence was erected around the perimeter of the field.  Our first paid groundsman was engaged. We now felt able to look to the North Yorkshire and South Durham League and duly made our first application.  1958 saw us joint champions of the C&T League and winners of the Cleveland Challenge cup for the first time.


May 16th 1959 saw our Clubhouse officially opened, the 50’s came to a close with Marske the premier side in the League, Champions of the Cleveland section of the C&T League and winners of the Cleveland Challenge cup and K.O. cup.


1960, joint champions of the Cleveland section of the C&T League and K.O. cup winners, then at the end of the season we had the square levelled and re-turfed.


1961, Champions of the Cleveland section of the C&T League, Cleveland Challenge cup and K.O. cup winners. Early in 1962 we learned that the North Yorkshire and South Durham League had at last decided to open its doors and Marske were one of six new clubs who were to be admitted into the ‘B’ division.


Although we played well to the end of the season our rivals, Barnard Castle, played better and we finished 2nd having won 13, lost 4 and drawn 6, a truly promising beginning.  1963 saw us ‘B’ division Champions for the first time, winning the League by two points.  In 1965 we won both the League and Haith cup.  It was also in 1965 that we began our policy of providing a professional coach for our juniors and D.J. Ellis became the first holder of the post.


July 11th 1967 saw the opening of our new Clubhouse and work started immediately in converting the old Clubhouse into a pavilion and tea room.  In 1968 we had the great satisfaction of winning the Macmillan cup, the first ‘B’ division side to achieve this, in doing so we defeated three ‘A’ division sides. With a lot of optimism we planned our campaign to enter ‘A’ division but we were turned down.  We felt that 1970 was to be our make or break year, the players were growing restive, our younger players were leaving to join ‘A’ division sides, feeling that we would never get our deserved promotion. Success on the field was important and the players responded, we won the ‘B’ division with a record number of points, winning 20 games and losing only once and reached the final of the Haith cup.


Between September and November in 1970 our committee men put in a lot of hard work advancing our case, that Marske should be promoted to ‘A’ division, and success came late in November, Marske and Northallerton were to be admitted into the ‘A’ division.


The time seemed to drag from November until April, we needed a professional, but where to find one?


D.B.Close was the first to be approached having been recently deposed as Yorkshire’s skipper, which showed we were intent on getting the best, we also advertised the job in various parts of the Country and as a result we decided to meet and interview D.J. Halfyard the Kent and Notts player who had applied, having ended his contract with Notts. As a result of that interview Dave was engaged as our first professional.


Cricket season 1971, surely the greatest test we had ever faced and it was not until the end of June that we were defeated for the first time, the Championship was won on the penultimate Saturday.  Champions of the ‘A’ division at the first attempt.  Our juniors under the guidance of Dave Halfyard and the captaincy of Colin Welch, won the Junior cup for the first time, and this with possibly the youngest side we had ever fielded.


All the hard work put into the ground was recognised in 1973 when Yorkshire gave us the chance to host a two day Minor County Championship game between Yorkshire 2nd XI and Cumberland, from the success of this game we have been granted a fixture every year and since 1980 three-day games have been granted and in 1992 we had the honour of also hosting a one-day Bain Clarkson fixture as well.  To mark the occasion of our first Minor County fixture a brick built score box was erected to provide our spectators with an upto date score.


1977 saw the extension to our Clubhouse when a Steward’s flat was built and in 1980 due to an increased membership the bar was extended.


Our junior coaching policies finally paid dividends in 1978, when our under 13 side were winners of the National ‘Lords Taveners Trophy’.  A tremendous performance and one that should help the future senior sides.


In 1979 we had the honour of two Tasmanian amateurs joining our club, Nicky Allanby and Stuart Saunders, thus extending our reputation world wide.


In 1981, Paul Jarvis who had played all his junior cricket for Marske became the youngest ever player to play first class cricket for Yorkshire C.C.C.  Progressing on to win his Yorkshire cap in 1986, then in 1987 he had the honour to tour Pakistan with England’s world cup squad and to tour New Zealand at the beginning of 1988.


On July 31st, 2nd and 3rd August 1982 at North Marine Road, Scarborough we had the honour of two of our players, Paul Jarvis and Alan Ramage opening the bowling for Yorkshire v Sussex in a championship game.


1983, a young side served notice that honours were about to come our way again when we reached the final of the Kerridge Cup for the first time.  The Kerridge cup remains the only trophy we have yet to win and one the Club would greatly like to, as it was presented to the NY&SD League in 1920 by our then Club President, Mr. Charles Kerridge who had carried a wholesale and retail business in the village.


1984 on the final day of the season we became League Champions for the second time, with a record number of points.


As soon as the 1990 season closed the builders moved into the Clubhouse to complete our modernisation plans for the lounge thus keeping up with the progressive outlook of all our club officials, players and members.


1998 saw further progress on the ground when an electronic scoreboard was built giving spectators an up to date score and making the scorers life easier. The Clubhouse was modernised for members in the new Millennium but interest in cricket appeared to be on the wane.


The natural progression of retiring players joining committees was lost due to family ties and so many more interests now available. The new decade brought an enthusiastic group of parents who revitalised the Club, local businesses were involved to improve the facilities for cricketers, new shower rooms were built for the players and the pavilion and ground were given a ‘makeover’ in time for the return of a Yorkshire fixture for the first time in twelve years.


In 2012 a grant of £35,000 was awarded for the building of artificial nets with work due to start in early May.


Above information provided with thanks from the late Dave Beech


Since then we have continued our progress both on and off the field, especially with a new pavilion. We applied for, and got, a grant of £75000 from Sport England towards the cost late in 2015 and the old pavilion was demolished at the end of September 2016 with the newly built one being officially handed over at the end of January 2017. The bar in the clubhouse itself has also recently had a makeover and the Lounge is next on the list for a bit of TLC.


We continue every year to have professionals and amateur players and this year we have the following players joining our ranks 

Ryan Gibson

DOB 22/01/1996

Ryan Gibson is an English cricketer contracted to Marske CC for the 2019 season. A right-arm medium bowler, Gibson has played one day cricket since June 2013, having progressed through the Yorkshire Under-14s, Yorkshire Under-15s and Yorkshire Under-17s into the Yorkshire Academy and Yorkshire 2nd XI.

 Full name Ryan Gibson

Born January 22, 1996, Middlesbrough, Yorkshire

Current age 23 years 49 days

Major teams England Under-19s, Yorkshire, Yorkshire 2nd XI, Yorkshire Academy, Yorkshire Under-14s, Yorkshire Under-15s, Yorkshire Under-17s

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm medium

Education Fylinghall School

Nauman Anwar is a Pakistani cricketer contracted to Marske CC for the 2019 season. He represents Sialkot Stallions in domestic circuit. He was leading scorer in his debut 2015 Haier Super 8 T20 Cup. He had played just 4 First-class, 3 List A and 5 Twenty20 games before being selected in the Pakistan squad for the Zimbabwe series in 2015.

 

Full name Nauman Anwar

Born October 12, 1995, Gujranwala, Punjab

Current age 23 years 151 days

Major teams Pakistan, Karachi Kings, Sialkot Stallions

Playing role Opening batsman

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm medium-fast

Overseas amateur


Michael Brokensha

DOB – 16/06/2000

Batting style Right-hand bat

Bowling style Right-arm medium